MarketRight defined leadership as
working with and through people by providing them with a vision of the future which is meaningful to them and motivating. Leadership is both strategic and pragmatic and encourages all members of a team to deliver their best as an individual and as a team member.
High performing teams are built by leaders who have a vision and have the courage and mandate to lead others towards it. Leadership is a privilege and is earnt through demonstration of competency and integrity.
While the dictionary of the National Community for Latino Leadership enumerated the following attributes of Leadership Qualities:
- “Sets goals”
- “Communicates” (Frank, 1993)
- “Risk taker”
- “Accepts challenges”
- “Self aware”
- “Role model”
- “Promotes growth” (Denmark, 1993)
- “Smell for talent.”
- “Unafraid of hiring people better than [him or herself].”
- “Give meaning and value to work.”
- “Generates and sustains trust through constancy, caring, fairness, candor and authenticity.”
- “Balances ambition, competence and integrity.”
- “The leader and the led are intimate allies. Great leaders are made by great groups and by organizations that create the social architecture of respect and dignity.” (Warren, 1999)
The above definition of leadership and the listed leadership qualities have one way or the another tested the mettle of PLAI-STRLC as it celebrates the 4th Year Anniversary of the Council and bestow the Leadership Awards to its two former Council Chair in the Regional General Assembly on September 26, 2008.